Kern County Planning
Lorelei H. Oviatt AICP, Director
Phone: (661) 862-8600
FAX: (661) 862-8601
TTY Relay 1-800-735-2929
Public Services Building
2700 "M" Street., Suite 100
Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370
Monday - Friday 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M
IMPORTANT - PDF File Linking Issue
The Planning and Community Development Department provides consolidated land use planning and community development programs for the County's residents. We are proud to fulfill a mission that fosters economic vitality, supports resource conservation, and serves the diverse needs of Kern County residents, including those with lower incomes, by improving their economic, environmental, and social quality of life.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepare, administer and update the Kern County and Metropolitan General Plans and implement programs to effectuate General Plan goals and policies.
- Prepare, administer and update Kern County Zoning and Land Division Ordinances
- Prepare environmental documents pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- Administration of the Agricultural Preserve Program, Home Rule Program, endangered species planning and other activities
- Respond to applicant, agency and public comments and inquiries regarding land use, environmental and coordinative matters
- Provide staff support to the Planning Commision.
Browse the Kern County Zoning Ordinance online or download here.
Consolidated Land Development Fee Schedule for Public Services Building